Old 12-06-22, 09:06 AM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1152 Post(s)
Liked 1,194 Times in 695 Posts
Originally Posted by yaw
Just a friendly reminder that there is no need to solvent clean the chain between wax dips beyond the initial one off prep. It seems like some people still do or think that. All that is needed is taking the chain off, dipping it in hot wax, drying it, putting it back on.

The solvent clean is just to strip the chain clean of any lube or factory grease before starting to wax it for the first time, after that it does not accumulate dirt like you are used to with lube or drip on wax, so it can just go straight back into the pot where it is flushed perfectly clean again. Wipe it down once with a cloth to get superficial dust off if needed, but that is all.
can't say i agree with this. look at all the crap in the photo of post Immersive waxing / it should be more popular
metal flakes, brackish mineral spirits. its coming from somewhere. i clean my chains every time and this is the result of the first bath. i ride ~7k mi/yr in a hot climate which makes the wax on the chain a semi melted state during use so stuff does stick to it (albeit not much).

also, in the three years since i've been waxing i've never needed to "clean" the wax, it is nearly as clean as the first day i started.

waxing may take more time than just applying some drip lube but i like to do it. it is a bit therapeutic for me.