View Single Post
Old 12-10-22, 07:50 AM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 863 Times in 573 Posts
Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir
I don't think so. VegasJen said (in post #1) that "[t]he cassette on it now is a 9 -speed, but I think it came with an 8-speed originally (not sure)." She then described shifting issues, which may be due to using an 8-speed shifter (corresponding to the original 8-speed cassette) with the current 9-speed cassette. She needs to first determine whether her shifter is 8-speed or 9-speed. If it does turn out to be an 8-speed shifter, then she needs to buy either (i) an 8-speed cassette to go with that, or (ii) a 9-speed shifter to go with the current 9 speed cassette. Either way she does not need another 9-speed cassette.
Oooops! Massive brain fart on my part!! You are correct here!!!

Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir
But I think you misunderstood me when I said the chain determines which chain rings can be used. For example, I run 10 speed Shimano chain rings on an otherwise 11 speed Shimano drivetrain.
I still don't understand why you say "the chain determines which chain rings can be used". This implies you are saying the number of speeds rating of the chain ring must match the chain. Am I missing something?

Originally Posted by Koyote
Yup, Unless it's electronic, a rear derailleur is a pretty 'dumb' device. For example, I'm running a D/A ten speed RD on my older nine speed bike, and it works beautifully.
Precisely!