MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10220 Post(s)
Liked 5,940 Times in 3,202 Posts
Originally Posted by Trsnrtr
My son's orthopedist was able to watch video provided by the weightlifting organization and see the legs collapse in real time and in slow motion. He surmises torn quadricep tendons outer side of the knees. One leg is worse than the other. MRI tomorrow to get the full picture. He prescribed pain killers and a muscle relaxer. You medical guys know more but I understand that the quads are traumatized, spasming and not working and that hopefully with the drugs he may be able to get some motion.

Anyway, MRI tomorrow to determine the next step.
Poor guy!

The tendons have tension transducing nerve organs in them that signal the spinal cord to inhibit muscle contraction. That's why stretching a cramping muscle relieves the cramp. A ruptured tendon sees zero tension and the loss of tendon organ signaling can leave nerve activity in that spinal cord segment imbalanced in favor of excitation. This is probably what happens in muscle cramps too, but in tendon rupture it can go on for quite a while. I have never seen it, but I can well imagine it's very unpleasant!

Last edited by MoAlpha; 12-11-22 at 05:14 PM.