USAZorro
Señor Member

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1510 Post(s)
Liked 1,131 Times in 660 Posts
Originally Posted by RCMoeur
The Rusty Spoke bike co-op has had a unicycle for sale for, well, a while, but tonight some special person came in to purchase it. Yay. Problem was, the 24" tire had become a mite... crunchy. So tonight's task is a tire swap. Where's that 9/16 socket?
I picked a 24" wheeled unicycle just before Thanksgiving. Just need to trim the seatpost before I can ride it.

Winter is the season when I have the most opportunity to move projects along. Other times find me mowing the lawn and doing other tasks around the house and yard. With winter officially started now, I've hit the ground running this year. This evening I finished up the complete breakdown, overhauling and reassembly of my step daughter's old Schwinn Crossfit. The entire drivetrain looked as though it may never have been cleaned. It wasn't possible to make it pristine without replacing everything, but it once again appears cared for and is ready to ride.

Since I was on a roll, and had just received some essential parts from jeirvine, I wrapped up my conversion of a Bridgestone 100 that I picked up last spring from a generic 10 (or maybe it was 12) speed to my officially designated fixed gear machine. I had puttered away at this, but needed to install brake levers (for emergency purposes mind you) and re-cable the critter. I'm happy with how it turned out, and plan to take it out on a warmer day than it looks like we're going to have for at least another week.

I have no shortage of cottered cranks and decided this would be a good place for one to land.

Next on the stand is another full rehab. It's either a 1987 or 1988 Giant AT730 that I picked up in a threefer deal - also last spring. The other two were suspension mountain bikes (which I don't do), and were destined to be languishers, so I gave them away last month.

This one came to me with no seat post, ape hanger bars, a banana seat support and a rear rack rigged to clip a fishing pole to... not a tall tale - as you can see.

jeirvine also sent me a proper seat post, which you see here. I dig the stem, but found bars more suited.

If I can't just change out the rings, the crankset has to go. I'm 50-50 on rebuilding the wheels with new spokes, but thinking that can happen later if the wheels aren't too wobbly. The spoke protector will take up residence in a landfill, it will get new consumables and everything else needs deep cleaning and proper lubrication. It should be a fun project before I move on to rigging up the Motobecane Grand Touring that's behind it as a respectable touring bicycle and offering it for sale locally in the spring (too large for me).