View Single Post
Old 12-23-22, 03:22 PM
Frkl
Must be symmetrical

Bikes: ... but look, they're all totally different!

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 186 Times in 102 Posts
Reevaluating the multitool

A recent thread got me critically looking at the tool kit I carry for out of town rides, so in the country, mountains, and forests (not my commuting kit).

I have been carrying an SKS Tom 18 with a few other tools for over 10 years, and even though I knew there were tools there I didn't need (i have no torx bolts on my bikes, i carry separate tire irons and have long ago abandoned hyperguide chain pins, eg) i alway thought, what are a few hundred grams in a tool bag full of steel?

But I realized that switching to a Park MT1 (at 42g maybe the lightest Multi-Tool?) and separate spoke wrench and chain tool ( Park SW7 and Cyclo, so quality bits), i could reduce my tool kit by 125g, an amount I can actually feel.

I tried a bunch of other combinations, with separate hex keys and screw drivers, and this combo came out the lightest.

Anyone else critically evaluate their multitool or tool kit recently? Does the prepackaged convenience of a multitool lead us to consumer complacency, where we could build something better ourselves but outsource it instead?