View Single Post
Old 12-24-22, 04:03 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
Do we really need more jargon?
Can't we simply say something like dense fast moving traffic.

For my part I had no issue with "bumper to bumper" here. Even though I'm from NYC where it implies a slowly oozing p a ring lot, the context made it clear that was a suburban highway moving along at a decent clip.
"dense fast moving traffic" works for me. So did "50 mph bumper-to-bumper" really. The issue is obviously no gap in which to take the lane without risking the next car not being able to slow down in time. As a driver, it's also a situation where it's risky to slam your brakes, and while I'm not concerned as a cyclist with short delays of motor vehicle traffic if that slight inconvenience is making me safer, I don't think it's a good idea to deliberately put drivers in a safety dilemma where they are choosing between their safety and mine. I think you and I agree that lane-choice is highly contextual, and Joey's point as I understood it is that the same road may be a completely different context at another time of day. That's a point worth discussing while the "proper" meaning of bumper-to-bumper is a complete waste of time.

I'd bet money that you would have something interesting to say about "same road different context" whether you agreed or disagreed with the idea.
Likes For livedarklions: