twahl
Tom (ex)Builder

Bikes: Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dr.Deltron
OK, try this; stand on a bathroom scale. Holding onto a handrail or other secure handle, pull up. How much more than your body weight does the scale read? Probably about 10%. If you're really strong, MAAAYBE 15-20%. Try it, and let us know what you find.
Eh?

If that were an accurate test and estimate, it would indicate that a person could only lift 15-20% of their body weight if they were "really strong." Think about that for a moment. You'd be in sad shape if you could not lift at least 50% of your body weight, or in other words apply your body weight + 50% in pounds of force to a scale. I foolishly tried your experiment, at a hair over 200lbs., and exceeded the 300 lb. capacity of my digital scale. I could have applied more pressure, but the vanity was making funny noises.

I'm not saying that on a bicycle you can apply that much force to a pedal, but that's why we have gears.

Chain wear though...a chain should last longer on a recumbent if everything else is equal. The chain parts do encounter the gears less frequently, and stretching forces across the top of the chain line are applied over a longer stretch, or more links, at any given time.

"It hurts so good..."