Thread: Show your Trek
View Single Post
Old 12-30-22, 06:35 PM
ehcoplex 

Bikes: '38 Schwinn New World, ’69 Peugeot PX-10, '72 Peugeot PX-10, ‘7? Valgan, '78 Raleigh Comp GS, ’79 Holdsworth Pro, ’80 Peugeot TH-8 tandem, '87 Trek 400T, ‘7? Raleigh Sports, ‘7? Raleigh Superbe, ‘6? Hercules

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 761 Post(s)
Liked 1,563 Times in 757 Posts
Originally Posted by thumpism
More pix of that tall Elance. I'm astonished how decent it is overall despite the obviously trashed appearance. No dents or cracks that I can find, the BB and HS spin freely and it's straight. Even the top tube cable guides are undamaged. Damn, this would make a good project for someone but not for me.
It sure ain't pretty but would make a decent ride for somebody.
I don't know the Trek line by heart but recall seeing these 531 frames with Cr-Mo (specifically NOT 531) forks. Kind of an odd offering by the company.

Haven't tried a seatpost yet but assume it takes a 27.2.
I'd guess it was purely a cost-saving decision to forgo 531 for the fork & stays (and may possibly have had as much to do with exchange rates, trade agreements, etc., at the time..). I've casually looked for a definitive description of what the real-world differences are between 'chrome-moly' and 'manganese-moly' but haven't come up with anything- at least that seemed 'definitive' (and described something that I personally might notice.... or at least understand!).
I does seem these Trek Elance frames are quite liked by those who have/ride them, even if they aren't highly regarded. I've only been able to try the one I picked up and reno'd on the rollers so far, so can't give a real-world impression. Funny thing is, I actually bought it to build up as a 650b conversion for a friend, but it turned out to be smaller than thought- he's quite tall. But it's my size, so I've built it up for myself. Your frame would be more his size..