View Single Post
Old 01-05-23, 10:43 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4204 Post(s)
Liked 3,862 Times in 2,310 Posts
Originally Posted by alexk_il
Can you please elaborate on what problems I could have with this seat moved as far as it is now?
Moving the seat far forward opens up the angle between one's legs and their torso. This affects both the power you can apply to the pedals and the ability to use one's hips to maneuver the bike. With the bars so high up and the stem so short I will speculate that the seat forward is an attempt to reduce the stretch your arms need to reach the bars. As long as you are happy with how this feels this is not wrong. However, many riders find that having their hips set back behind their feet, by more than your position seems to have, aids their riding with efficiency, increases the ability for their core muscles to support their upper body weight and to enhance their handling/steering. When I see the style of fit that your bikes shows I think that the length of the top tube is too long for the rider's torso/arm combo. This is why some bikes have smaller wheels, to allow the shortening of the top tube without ending up with one's feet contact the front wheel. Andy