View Single Post
Old 01-09-23, 04:55 PM
bike_tom

Bikes: 2022 Trek Checkpoint ALR5, 2014 Cannondale Trail SL1, 1983 Fuji Royale II

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 587 Times in 241 Posts
Belated Happy Year. I went riding today for the first time since December 30th. Over the past few weeks I gave the Fuji and Checkpoint their annual maintenance and deep cleanings, so I selected the hardtail for today's ride.

I headed toward Lexington on the MM, figuring I would ride to the visitor's center and then decide whether to go further...
Well, I felt good so I chose to continue on to Depot Park and then decide whether to go further...
So, at the Depot I decided to ride the Elm Brook Trail from South Rd to where it meets the Reformatory Branch Trail, then consider whether to go further...
At the RBT junction I decided to ride out to route 62... where I in fact turned around!

On the Elm Brook Trail it was fun to see that someone has put up some holiday decorations. Here is an example, with the RBT in the distance:

How was the RBT? I would describe it not so much as muddy, but as "greasy". The cold nights have frozen the ground probably a few inches down, but the mild days have thawed the surface leaving a general wet stickiness. The riding was great fun given that I had the right bike and tires.

It ended up being a 23 mile round trip, appropriate for the first ride of 2023.

Tom
Likes For bike_tom: