View Single Post
Old 01-10-23, 01:51 PM
DQRider 
Old Boy

Bikes: Mostly 1st-generation, top-of-the-line, non-unicrown MTBs/ATBs: All 1984 models: Dawes Ranger, Peugeot Canyon Express, Ross Mt. Whitney (chrome), Schwinn High Sierra, and a 1983 Trek 850.

Mentioned: 134 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 985 Post(s)
Liked 1,716 Times in 611 Posts
Originally Posted by steelbikeguy
that's a home-built LED headlight. I think it is my 3rd generation of LED light... or maybe 4th?
It's pretty basic, and optically similar to a flashlight. i.e. no optimization to put the light out below the horizon.
The most unique feature might be the standlight, if only because it uses a 100 Farad supercapacitor for the standlight. It'll run for about 10 minutes at a much higher brightness than commercially built lights.
Having a standlight run for a long time can be inconvenient, so I included a switch to disable it. I mounted a magnet on a rotating plate on the right side of the light, and it controls a reed switch on the inside of the housing (the reed switch used to be a sensor for a bike computer). This is just a way to avoid exposing a mechanical switch to the weather.
a shot of the front of the light...
and a shot of the inside. You'll note the big green thing that takes up about half of the space... that's the 100F supercap, and explains why commercial lights normally use a little 1F supercap.
Steve in Peoria
(you should see the tail light!)
Your nickname isn't Heathkit, is it? Nice job!

Roulez pour la joie, jamais pour la douleur.

USMC 1981-1991 Semper Fi!