View Single Post
Old 01-10-23, 04:55 PM
steelbikeguy

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1846 Post(s)
Liked 3,482 Times in 1,615 Posts
Originally Posted by DQRider
Same kind of geek here... Avionics in the `Corps for ten years, followed by Quality, R&D, and finally management in aerospace. Have soldering iron (and Simpson 260, and O-scope), will travel. It's nice to see there are still some analog solutions...
Have I mentioned my time as an avionics tech in the Marines before? 1977 to '81, working on A-4's and TA-4 Skyhawks in VMAT-102 in scenic Yuma.
Lots of experience with the Simpson 260, and the PSM4D (I think). Such a glamorous life!
I've got a shot of a buddy reviewing aircraft wiring drawings while troubleshooting. The Simpson is up on the aircraft ladder. Not sure why he has a tug out there.

After my EE degree, I spent a number of years at McDonnell Douglas doing avionics and space stuff. Fun work, but after defeating the Soviets, the work dried up and I had to change jobs to an industry where there was more than one customer! Earth-moving equipment was a distinct change, but got to do some microcontroller work for a while, then did some sensor design, and did my best to do interesting work. It was intriguing to watch electronics take over the machines, to the point where joysticks and displays dominated the cab... very much like what the F-18 was back in the 80's.

Steve in Peoria (still enjoying any excuse to get out a soldering iron or 'scope)
Likes For steelbikeguy: