View Single Post
Old 01-17-23, 11:26 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5039 Post(s)
Liked 8,273 Times in 3,908 Posts
Originally Posted by Kontact
my own experiences in tight, hilly, wet conditions that lead me to believe that rear brakes are of extremely limited value in downhill turns. I wouldn't want to not have a rear brake, but I don't think there are many circumstances where it will save you instead of contributing to a loss of directional control.
That hasn't been my experience. For the most part, I try to do as much of my braking as possible while the bike is still going straight, using both brakes, with the front doing most of the work. Once I'm in the turn, I try to stay off the front brake and let the front tire's work be as dedicated as possible to just traction and direction. Any additional speed control is managed by the rear brake. Understanding how body (COG) position plays a part in cornering dynamics is an important factor in this, too.