Old 01-17-23, 01:54 PM
tiger1964 

Bikes: Drysdale/Gitane/Zeus/Masi/Falcon/Palo Alto/Raleigh/Legnano

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 987 Post(s)
Liked 650 Times in 411 Posts
Well, today I "broke down" most of the bike. Crown race is really stuck and that's one part I do not have the correct tool for removing. The rest of the headset is out, and the BB including the fixed cup popped right out, which surprised me. And I need to empty out the hubs.

Gearing is a 14-24 out back, 52/43 up front; interesting choice for a middle-aged newbie to cycling but I give him points for that! Unsure what I'll change it to; whatever freewheel the NR can take -- perhaps with a long-cage adapter -- for sure and I do not know if I care to buy a new inner chainring just to pick up 1T. Yeah, I do have that set of Stronglight 93's and I half expected when the crank arms came off I'd find a Stronglight BB in there. Nope: Brev. Camp.

Not finding any other damage but have not done a string test on the frame yet. Gawd, it's grimy! I had run out of Simple Green Pro HD on earlier project bikes and a fresh jug arrives tomorrow.

Speaking of which, is the Simple Green safe on paint... and decals? If I save the finish, the decals are OK except (a) the "Gran Sport" on the TT is faint, like partly worn off -- it's not paint instead of a decal, is it? and (b) the seat tube 531 decal is a bit flaky around the edges, but I hope to save it. After touch-up I plan to use polishing compound and see if the paint gloss comes back.

Oh, on the rear derailleur, I see the threaded sleeve on the housing to hold a screw to limit the lower spring's wind-up is cracked off. I think I can install as-is, and I think I have a spare RD anyway.

I still have not made up my mind on tires but, as I have other bike for "nice surfaces", knobbier tires somewhat call out to me for the Raleigh.

More photos when there's anything worthwhile to show.

Originally Posted by gugie
Now we know what the goal is - represent the bike like your friend's father rode it. Your choice on what to do, but the components are just fine. Since gravel ridiing on road bikes has become very popular over the past several years, there's been a lot of understanding on what tires work well. My gravel might not be like your gravel, but generally speaking kobby tires aren't helpful unless you're riding on moist soil where the knobs can sink in and give traction. Dry gravel forestry roads, like I ride on in the PNW work just fine with fat tires, no tread.