Old 01-22-23, 08:04 AM
WongaTaa

Bikes: Raleigh Competition 1973

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
She’s a beauty. Some thoughts…

Be careful with your tools. I have a ’73, and it’s a mishmash of English and metric. The TA crank dictated use of (English-made!) French-threaded pedals. You might want to find out if those Atom pedals are English or French thread – measure carefully, because the difference is slight, until you try to use the wrong pedal in the crank. Or replace the arms and try to use the original pedals.

Oh, and the bolt on the GB stem, if it’s like mine, is 15/32”. How many grams did they save by not making it half inch??? Adjustable wrench to the rescue!

Those look like Carlton hoods. Tasty! Scrub those babies up and they’ll treat you right. I don’t think I’ve ever removed mine – it’s a bear of a job! But I wouldn’t want to cut ‘em, unless they’re headed for the bin!

I haven’t seen tire savers in a dog’s age. If you find a source for these, let us all know.

Be careful with the bar plugs, if you want to preserve the originals. Mine simply disintegrated. Crumbled into little dust particles when I tried to take them out. I’m surprised the expander bolt approach isn’t more common today, though made of a non-disintegrating material.

It’s hard to believe we used to mangle our paint and decals with steel clamps for pumps and bottle cages. If you touch up the paint and polish the chrome, I have a tip. For the paint/chrome interfaces on the blades and stays, marine pinstriping looks great. No worries about paint smearing, uneven lines, etc. If you message me, I’ll be glad to mail you some lengths. I think the smallest spool I could get was 10m, of which I only used a few cm. The ’73 didn’t have chromed stays, or I’d have used a few cm. more.