View Single Post
Old 01-22-23, 03:21 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4792 Post(s)
Liked 3,918 Times in 2,548 Posts
I learned a long time ago that I need a position I can ride for hours that is aero and I can do with little loss in power. That leaning forward and closing up the angle between thighs and torso improves aero but limits deep diaphragm breathing and hence sustained power. So, what works is rotating my entire position forward. Seat forward, bars forward and down, more seat tilt. More weight on my hands. I can lift up with no hands but it is marginal (and I have good core strength).

Now, I have to pay close attention to my hand positions or I'll struggle with ongoing injuries. But when I have that right, I get to ride bikes that are a joy to ride, even if I have to spend a few hours straining my little VW bug engine pushing my lightweight and not remotely aero body upwind. For that , I will happily ride bikes that I get told regularly aren't set up properly.

So I ride 6 different bikes, all with similar positions only different rotations. The most rearward (or upright) is on my Raleigh Competition with it's CX brake levers and nice, cushy ride. My fix gears are more aggressive. The commuter a real step more aggressive than the Raleigh. Roughly the same on my Mooney. My avatar photo bike is my most aggressive. Ultimately my '80s pure race bike will match the avatar when I get a stem with a shorter quill that doesn't hit the steerer butt.

And seat setback? It is whatever it is. I measure another bike and copy to set up the first time. (Actually I draw my bikes on a CAD program and compare it to my others - mostly to see what I need for seatpost seatback and stems to get into the ballpark.) And after that, it is riding with the wrenches and stopping as needed to dial in.