View Single Post
Old 01-27-23, 10:22 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,931 Times in 2,556 Posts
Originally Posted by elcruxio
I've found that setback is over rated...
I take my setback very seriously. Have two custom posts with 65mm of it. And that SR MTB post with a mile of adjustable setback. The lugged steel Nitto post with quite a lot. So I could take it personally being told it is over-rated!

My reason is the bikes that have the best weight balance between the wheels for me have short chainstays. Long or even medium chainstayed bikes get light in back when I corner on rough downhill descents. If I want anything like tire clearance on the bikes that handle well under me when I have the bike fitted for my best position, I need a bike built with a steep seat tube angle (or a curved seat tube which I might ask for if I get another custom). So, with that 74 or 75 seat tube angle, I need real setback to keep from slamming ti rails (my preferred seats all have them) all the way back just to get a "normal" setback. I've already broken at least one slammed ti seat slamming the seat on a "regular" post.

In fact, I really like seatposts where the clamp is roughly centered on the rails. Now Ican do mid-ride seat placement adjusts and not ever hit or even get close to the limits.

As I said in an earlier post, I measure the setback off one of my other bikes to get the ballpark when I set up a new bike, then go ride with the wrenches. When I buy the frame (built up or nor) I draw it up on my CAD program and see what stem and post I need to but bars and seat where I need the. Set both, the bars and levers using the other bikes or the drawing and go for that ride. (No handlebar tape yet. Levers almost certainly have to move.)

I guess I should start feeling sorry for myself, leading this life with so many and such large setbacks but I'm committed to mustering on.