View Single Post
Old 01-28-23, 10:04 AM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
Originally Posted by GrainBrain

Seems like the Tesch is being sold at cost. There was a guy near me selling period correct high end steel bikes and those were in the +$2k range.

I'll see a bike like this and compare to what a new similar build would cost. A Soma Pescadero frameset is $800 for instance.

Agree, vintage bikes can still be a compelling value. For the price of a bottom end road bike at a bike shop, you can often get a top of the line vintage bike. My self imposed rule is no bike purchase over what an entry level LBS road bike sells for. I've bought close to 1,000 bikes over the years. I have only crossed this rule once, with my 1973 Chicago Paramount.

Me, given a choice, I'd rather have a custom built Moulton (or whatever American builder you know), than a generic, made in China, new bike. Go to a LBS with $1200 in your pocket. See what kind of road bikes you can buy.

At some point, collectibles can surpass the price of a new replacement. We aren't there with 99% of the vintage bikes out there.

With nicer vintage bikes, you can get both the awesome construction and a lower price than generic new stuff. Now if you want the latest and greatest technology (particularly true with mountain bikes), then you need to go new, or nearly new used.
Please don't confuse ebay "asking" prices with "selling" prices. Many sellers never get their ask price. some are far from it. Value is determined once an item actually SELLS. Its easy enough to check SOLD prices.

Last edited by wrk101; 01-28-23 at 10:49 AM.