View Single Post
Old 01-30-23, 03:04 AM
Claude.fr

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by GhostRider62
Every path on every brevet and mostly every MUP in the USA. Gravel, rocks, branches on the ground and in the air awaiting you, especially in the dark.

Cycling paths in Holland or Germany are different beasts, they are designed to take bicyclists from point A to point B whereas in the states, paths tend to be old rail lines, tow paths, or specially built multiple use paths (MUPS). MUPs have people walking, jogging, walking the dog, roller bladers, etc. and I have found them much more risky in many cases than just riding the road. Plus, the speed limit on them is very low. Your experience is different because your paths are different and your expectation is more like a cycling tourist.

In my books Paris Brest Paris **Randonneur** isn’t Liège-Bastogne-Liège, which is a Pro race.
PBP race ended in 1951.
Check notes...
PBP is organized under the Federation Francaise de Cyclo Tourisme umbrella by Audax Club Parisien (ACP) un club cyclotouriste fondé en 1904.

Totally agree, we are talking cycling tourism or cyclotourisme, in French.
Nothing unreasonable in my expectations, Right ?

For comparison, Check RATN, which unlike the amicable PBP randonnée is a race, the clue is in the name.

RATN, @1957km is considerably longer than PBP, cursory look at a map tells me that it’s ridden principally on dedicated cycling lanes+ some inevitable MUPs in a country which population density is nowhere near to compare with empty central Brittany.

Young Sherry, 1st female, rode 1957km in 5 days, 13hrs, 50min abiding by driving code and even respecting traffic lights. Go figure.

Spot the difference with French laggards i.e. infrastructure for cyclists ?