View Single Post
Old 01-31-23, 01:23 PM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1955 Post(s)
Liked 3,661 Times in 1,679 Posts
Originally Posted by steine13
@VintageSteelEU
It's a 1981 Grand Touring. Sorry, I should have given a bit more information.

Temptation is everywhere, and this particular instance was on the Enabler™ thread; I posted my acquisition here: Show us bikes bought via the "eBay/Craigslist Finds" thread!

This is becoming like a part-time job; I need to harvest the serial numbers -- all twenty of them, this thing is full of stamped digits -- and post them on the appropriate thread, and I should also make a build thread for it, it's a nice example of a bygone aesthetic.

Not perfect, of course, the paint is scraped in places, and some genius put a kickstand on the chain stays.. for some reason, the tops are hardly affected but the bottom is somewhat flattened. The while thing begs to be turned into a 650b, and with the stays pre-dented, why not?

The size is 23" -- 58 cm and change center-to-top on the seat tube, and 57-58 cm top tube, I generally like more height, but that's as much length as I want to deal with. The frame with nothing but the headset cups and the dropout adjusters weighs 2370 g; the fork is 880 g, making the whole thing about 350 g heavier than the 1997 Cannondale R200 I moved on to make room. At that differential, I'll take the steel and hope for a lively ride. So far I've only done a ten-miler locally to check it out.

And the bike came with strong wheels; Normandy hubs and Weinmann concave rims that run pretty true.
Here, I'm not kidding about the serial numbers:

cheers -mathias
Those are excellent riding framesets. 888? At any rate 700cx35 should fit easy. Room for fenders as well on the one I had. Much easier than converting to 650b on that bike.