holytrousers
hoppipola

Bikes: fausto coppi

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 512 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 163 Posts
Originally Posted by e0richt
hi, I have been getting back into cycling in general and specifically commuting / car light cycling.
I have noticed that I am pretty slow and trying to add mileage to my rides and have considered using cycling workouts from the competitive area in order to help improve my abilities. I was wondering if others here might have some experience with that and maybe some words of encouragement.

thanks in advance
This is a wise idea!

I wonder why so many people fail to see how stupid and insane it is to use a car allegedly to save time on their commutes only to spend those saved minutes at the gym afterwards, polluting and wasting money in the meantime ?

My commutes are 90km (60miles) long and they have taught me a couple of things :
Breathing is the most important thing to keep in mind : conscious, regular and deep breathing will keep your muscles and brain oxygenated and prevent your mind from wandering in unknown and dangerous territories.
Don't overexert yourself by trying to be faster : that will wear you out for the rest of the commute, it will be painful and boring and you won't enjoy your next commute : rather start your commutes intentionally slowly and give yourself and your body time to warm up and feel competitive.
Think about your commutes as a long term training plan.
Alternating intervals of high intensity with twice as long recovery ones in the middle of your commute can improve your shape, if you have hills on your commute use them in that purpose.

Cheers and keep us updated !