Old 02-03-23, 02:41 PM
timtak

Bikes: Trek Madone 5.2 SL 2007, Look KG386, R022 Re-framed Azzurri Primo, Felt Z5, Trek F7.3 FX

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 404 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 73 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
Old threads are old because they were started years ago. Age does not imply, nor impart wisdom (which I can say now that I am An Old).

The reason I mentioned opening the hip angle is because this is one of the more recent improvements in both comfort and efficient output of power. Compared to The Old Days, race bike positions have lower bars and the saddle more forward, allowing the use of positions like aero hoods, which is not only more aero than riding in the drops (because forearms are level), but also even an old fat guy like me can ride in them for miles, with practice.
I am sorry. Old people deserve respect.

I think that road bike cycling may have become popular in France because it allowed small French guys (the bigger ones died in the Napoleonic Wars) to beat their bigger neighbours by using a trick. Instead of pushing down on the pedals, which requires an open hip angle, they pushed forwards giving up the push (as Carbonfibreboy recommended) at about 4 to 5 position to pull back. This push-forwards pull back motion does not require an open hip angle. When even bigger, faster, stronger (and doped) guys arrived the French trick rarely wins, but the trick is an effective way imho to stay fast and exercise the all important anti-ageing butt muscles, as one gets old.

Fact checking
Moser was pretty tall 180, and from Italy!
Anquetil 176
Hinault 174
Poulidor 172

Last edited by timtak; 02-03-23 at 02:46 PM.