View Single Post
Old 02-04-23, 03:31 AM
alexk_il

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 26 Posts
Originally Posted by alexk_il

I'm converting my vintage MTB with into a frankencross commuting bike - drop bars, granny gears, 659b x 2.2“ tires, panniers, carrying laptop, clothes, etc..

​​​​​​...

I unsuccessfully tried to use a low cost carbon fork on the bike, got the refund and started to look for a replacement.
Carbon fork dropout problems

I can still use the original old Manitou suspension fork (around 2.4kg) and having little options is making me confused.
Q1: Surly ECR might fit the bill, but it's 1.4kg of weight, plus it's ugly, IMO. ...

Q2: There is a lot of relatively light aluminium forks that might fit (no name brands, Kinesis, maybe a few other options). Assuming they work as expected, will they give a good quality ride on 2.2“ tires or should I just keep the heavy suspension fork instead?
An update.

I finally found a mint Shimano pro carbon xcr 445 fork on ebay for £50/$60. Installed it using Delta stem riser to keep the geometry recommended by my bike fitter.

Fork's weight is ~800g, and it works fine with my 185mm rotors (180mm max specified).

​​​​​​​Next thing to explore - seats and seat posts with less offset. Tempted to try a suspension seat post, don't really need it though, just curious how they feel.

Works great with