View Single Post
Old 02-05-23, 04:33 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5791 Post(s)
Liked 2,581 Times in 1,431 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
I have my doubts that anyone who comes to this forum needs to be reminded that motor vehicles travel faster and weigh more than bicycles and that as a consequence bicyclists always lose in collisions. ....
It's kinda funny. I'd expect that you're right, and nobody should need reminding, but......

I also scuba dive, and the consequences of running out of air at depth are obvious. However, running low or out of air remains the number one contributor to dive injuries and deaths. That's despite.equipment that makes air management ultra easy.

However, while I grant that the danger "gross tonnage" is pretty obvious, how many newer riders know how to manage hazards, such as rear axle arc of long vehicles, high bodies, the A pillar blind spot, dooring, and so on. Also, how many know how to read traffic to avoid right hooks or left crosses, or what to do as they happen.

The fact is that most relatively inexperienced cyclists have no idea how much they don't know (unknown unknowns). Given the lack of alternate sources, one might think we'd embrace forums where newbs can benefit from the experience of those who are willing to share.

It's been said that the smart kid learns not to after burning his fingers, but the smarter kid learns this after his brother burns them.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.