Old 02-07-23, 01:30 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,478 Times in 1,836 Posts
Lol .... debating disc vs rim brakes is like debating how flat the Earth is. +No one is listening to anything but their own voices .... and the voices in their heads.

The only reason racers sometimes blow tires is because they have to go all-out to the very limit of safety, because they guy behind them will. On the road, there are a lot of options. If I have to descend a Really long, steep hill and I am worried about my brakes because I am riding them... I can pull to the side and let them cool a minute. Disc or rim or drum, tubular or clincher or tubeless, I do not have to hold the brakes for minutes at a time .... I am not on the clock with my career hanging in the balance.

Similarly, i can brake almost to a stop, then roll off, hitting the brakes intermittently, a little harder as I build speed, then slow way down and proceed downhill cycling through hard and gentle braking, to keep the brakes cool.

If I choose, I can ride the brakes hard the whole way and risk dying to a blow-out or blow-off or whatever. I am pretty sure if I die I won't be debating proper terminology.

It is great having the freedom to live my own life by my own lights, which usually, while cycling, i get to do a fair amount.
Likes For Maelochs: