View Single Post
Old 02-10-23, 10:42 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5039 Post(s)
Liked 8,273 Times in 3,908 Posts
Originally Posted by GhostRider62
Come ride my bike?

SRAM AXS Red HRD brakes.

The initial grab is very high compared to rim brakes. Let's say you want to feather the brakes going into a bumpy corner, it takes some thought and care meaning very little lever movement results in a lot of braking force compared to rim brakes. The difference is very apparent to me. On a positive note, did you watch the video? From a performance perspective, I would guess my descent times on Stelvio would be vastly improved (in theory).
Hmmm...I don't know if SRAM brakes have a different response than Shimano, because I've only used Shimano. The lever feel is definitely different between my rim brake bikes and disc brake bikes, and I would agree that the disc brakes bite quicker, but (for me) that bite is still very controllable. I would not equate it to a lack of modulation, but just a more responsive bite. For me, swapping between bikes, making the lever feel adjustment in my actions only takes a moment, but I can understand why that might not be the case for everyone. It's not really different than the difference in brake pedal feel between my car and my wife's.

I did watch the video. I don't remember them talking about a lack of modulation control. Both of their tests included scenarios where stopping in as short a distance as possible was the goal, or a major factor, and disc brakes were clearly superior in their tests. A lack of modulation control would mean that you couldn't take a longer distance to stop, if you wanted to.

Last edited by Eric F; 02-10-23 at 10:53 AM.