View Single Post
Old 02-13-23, 02:35 PM
RoadWearier

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 75 Posts
Originally Posted by Korina
All my bikes are really old, so I'm well out of the new bike game. I discovered that Trek actually makes a good commuter bike, the District, but the $1,750 price tag took me by surprise. What do you think? Could a college student afford it? I'm wondering if I should encourage my local Trek dealer to carry some despite the awful color.

The belt drive and dynamo hub with lights are pretty cool, but I wonder if the 8-speed IGH can handle our terrain; Humboldt State University was long known by students as Hills and Stairs University.
​​​​​​For $300 you can find a trek fx model that will do everything the district will do. Buy a rear rack and rechargeable lights and save $1200 bucks. Plus you would have a much better gear range and save your knees on the hills.

I also wonder when it comes time to service that dyno hub light, how easy will it be with that internal routing. An IGH would be great if you truly think you would ride in rain, sleet and snow, but how likely is that really? How bright is that light? Is it just for being seen or is it really bright enough to ride by? Seems like a neat bike but if you are a student on campus, you'd be better served with something a lot cheaper.
Likes For RoadWearier: