View Single Post
Old 02-13-23, 10:44 PM
LV2TNDM

Bikes: Cannondale tandems: '92 Road, '97 Mtn. Mongoose 10.9 Ti, Kelly Deluxe, Tommaso Chorus, Cdale MT2000, Schwinn Deluxe Cruiser, Torker Unicycle, among others.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked 207 Times in 129 Posts
Originally Posted by Pratt
A bike garage for 7,000 bikes sounds like it could be a long walk to/from where you park your bike, do they have a shuttle service?
Utrecht has a similar parking structure for thousands of bicycles. It has many pedestrian walkways and stairways. The stairway my wife and I used after parking our tandem popped up to surface level right at the entrance to the train station. About a five minute walk. Despite the great number (7,000), bicycles can be stored very efficiently, especially when using multi-level parking structures. The walk will almost always be shorter than when parking a car, as cars take up so much more square footage (meterage?).

So I figured I'd look up Utrecht's storage, assuming it would be smaller than Amsterdam's: Nope! They have capacity for 12,000 bicycles! Woah!

https://www.dezeen.com/2019/09/12/wo...d-architecten/

"Lizzie Crook | 12 September 2019 Leave a comment Ector Hoogstad Architecten has completed a three-storey bicycle park to store 12,656 bikes below Utrecht Central Station in the Netherlands.

The project forms part of a wider redevelopment of the area surrounding the city's railway station, and is designed by Ector Hoogstad Architects to enable cyclists to ride from the street level to the bike store, from which they can quickly access the station.

It is hoped to encourage locals to commute using bikes and public transport instead of cars, and in turn ease congestion in Utrecht and make it a more sustainable city."
And look at that, the world's largest bike parking structure! Who knew? What stupid luck! How funny that we ended up there because we were visiting our daughter studying abroad. Wish I knew then!

So no. What cyclist would even need a shuttle service?
Likes For LV2TNDM: