Old 02-17-23, 05:26 AM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2755 Post(s)
Liked 984 Times in 805 Posts
Originally Posted by irc
Fair point I have done it both ways in the USA. A night in a hotel first is preferable. The Holiday Inn at Glasgow Airport is 200 yards from the exit from the airport. You could push your trolley there. Failing that any hotel in the city centre is a 15 minute taxi ride. Or if you are Inverness bound it is 10 minutes over the Erskine Bridge to the Dumbarton area. The Travelodge, Dumbarton is literally about 20 steps from the Glasgow - Inverness bike route which runs immediately behind it.
Originally Posted by gauvins
Not that bad. Actually a fun way to start an adventure
thanks again for the specific details. One factor is figuring out a way to keep the bike box for the return trip. Not absolutely necessary of course, and obviously not always possible, but it does simplify things at the end of ones journey to not have to track down a box that is the right size to properly protect your bike.
Ive done the "bike in a box" thing for over 30 years, and it is nice if one can arrange it to have the same box for the return, and handy also to store the various plastic and foam protecty bits in it as well.

with transAtlantic flights going to Europe from Canada, at times I haven't slept well in the day before the trip, and then poorly during the flight, so am zonked to an extent when arriving, so yes, it is nice to have the time to do the bike assembly thing on your own time and to have a sleep in a bed.

Funny, when I started bike touring a long time ago, I used some fancy at the time IRC kevlar protected 28mm slicks that worked really well and never had flats on the numerous pairs I had on that bike.