View Single Post
Old 02-18-23, 09:11 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7713 Post(s)
Liked 3,645 Times in 1,918 Posts
Those are not lame bikes .... they are solid entry-level bikes. Look at the details on the frames---no stamped dropout there.

Yes, Tourney is a questionable group set .... but it is the entry-level Shimano road group set. it might not stay in adjustment so well, and it might flex a little more .... But is it ridable? yes.

if a person on a budget wants a reliable bike and isn't intending to race or jump of five-foot drops bikes at that level can provide reliable transport and also pleasure .... the owner had best keep on top of preventive maintenance (check spoke tension frequently) but if s/he does, the bikes will last.

Not every wants, needs, or can afford the maximum bike-bling, highest-tech gear .... a bike like the OP is suggesting is just a slightly better than basic bicycle ... cassette and freehub, flat bar and trigger shifters (much easier to work on and to replace than brifters, and worlds cheaper), heavier than expensive bikes, but sturdy ... and with an Al frame and a steel fork, it should give a nice ride. (My 1983 Cannondale ST-500 has an Al frame and a steel fork ... and it Still rides well.)

I cannot get info on the DeVinci but if it is eight-speed is it Claris, or Acera? Tektro hydro discs? I might prefer simpler gear at that price point. Not saying anything bad about anything, but something like hydro discs ... you just can't make them too cheap, without inviting reliability issues.

Mechanical discs are a lot simpler than hydro discs, and the Fuji's V-brakes (or whatever is the latest term) are old-school proven reliable tech.

Everyone is different, and I might miss some good stuff because of my views, just as I might miss some potential problems ... but when I buy something inexpensive I like it to be simple and straightforward ... less to go wrong.

I recommend going to bike stores, explaining what you're looking for and your max budget---but Don't Bring Money!!!!! They will always try to upsell you, and it is way to easy to fall in love with the wrong bike. Do as many test rides as you can and get a feel for what fits.

By the way, the Cannondale has a 46-30 crank ... pretty low gearing for road riding. Fuji's triple---48-38-28---is good for almost any terrain and great for carrying loads, while still giving you some top end.
t
Likes For Maelochs: