View Single Post
Old 02-18-23, 11:53 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 798 Post(s)
Liked 1,864 Times in 1,062 Posts
Originally Posted by tenrec
Braking is adequate but not spectacular. I have never had a bike with disc brakes before, and I was expecting amazing braking power with little effort. I find that, while the discs stop the bike when needed, the braking power is no better than (and maybe not quite as good as) the cantilever rim brakes on my 7500. They are a bit quieter, but no more powerful. Modulation is similar. I have not tried the new brakes under wet conditions, under which disc brakes are supposed to show their superiority, but under normal dry conditions, I don’t find any advantage.
I know Trek had an issue with the spec'd brakes for the FX series and many of them got delivered with Tektro or other lower end brakes as they couldn't get the Shimano's. The bikes should have come with the Shimano MT201 lever, UR300 caliper, and the RT-10 rotors, which is a really nice brake setup. The Tektro brakes suck eggs and that is what my FX Sport 5 got delivered with. My LBS has been warranting out the brakes and ordering the spec'd brakes directly from Shimano since they are in stock now. Shimano braking is so much better, and for what you paid for the bike it should not have substandard braking. If you did not get the Shimano setup, I would discuss it with your dealer to replace what you did get with the Shimano brakes, handles, and rotors if you are not happy them. Took about 5 days for them to get my parts and put them on.

Last edited by jaxgtr; 02-19-23 at 12:07 AM.