View Single Post
Old 02-19-23, 04:52 PM
EVlove

Bikes: 1980 Dawes Super Galaxy + 1981 Lotus Classique + 1986 Bianchi Sport SX + 2005 Van Dessel Project WR + 2021 Zizzo Liberté

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked 489 Times in 223 Posts
I popped the 23mm Michelin Dynamics back on the Lotus in anticipation of an all-BFRT ride on the, now, dry asphalt. Yes, I should get another wheelset. And a pair of rims, in fact, since the brake track on these is pretty much worn down. Thankfully changing back and forth between the Michelins and the Schwalbe CX is quick and easy, no tire irons needed.

The plan was to drive to Chelmsford center to run a little errand and get a quick EV charge at the library while I take a spin to who knows, maybe all the way to the bridge. Finding both charging spots taken when I passed, I parked at the Center for the Arts instead and proceeded to mount front wheel, flashers, and toolbag. As if on cue, the wind piped up noticeably and I realized I was only wearing short sleeves under my quarter-zip. It couldn't be helped so off I set, uncomfortable even at modest speeds. But then modest speeds seemed to be all the Sunday afternoon BFRT traffic would allow, anyway. Walkers, joggers, cyclists of varying skill and attentiveness, not like in the summer of course, but it was enough to wish the NFL season hadn't ended. Even the dreaded social group ride or two. You know the type, we're having a good chat here, so we're entitled to the full width of the trail So my bell thumb got a workout, too.

Clear stretches could still be found in between, and I did warm up to some extent, but it became clear that I wasn't going to go even as far as NARA. I stopped at Route 27 and realized that I had left my water bottle back in the car, on top of it all, so it was time to head back. I considered grabbing the bottle back at the CCA and then adding the loop to the Lowell end, but eventually decided to leave the trail at High St and head uphill for some vertical footage. The road was in surprisingly poor condition, but just about empty, so I managed to steer my unforgiving rubber (90/100 psi front/rear) clear of the potholes. The climb was thermally welcome, and the descent slowed down enough not to chill me to the bone. Gave me time to appreciate the fine old homes, and notice the sap buckets on a number of maples. None of which I photographed, alas.

Left at Acton Rd and then left again, using the sidewalks for a minute to avoid the slingshot around the library, and so back to the BFRT at the Brickhouse, and finally the CCA. Only about 9.6 miles and 270 feet today.
Likes For EVlove: