cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: http://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2422 Post(s)
Liked 4,397 Times in 2,093 Posts
Originally Posted by thumpism
More DL-1 drama here, showing the spoke nipple that pulled through the rear rim. And the rust. If I needed a Tourist rear rim I could make this one work. Have not seen it with the tire off yet but if the rust is no worse I'd washer that nipple and slap the wheel back on the bike. It's not even out of true.

Without having spent more time with the bike here's what I'd do; toss the fork and use the frame, headset, stem/bar combo and all the rod brake hardware, fenders, seatpost, and crankset. I'm tossing the chaincase but saving the little cover from the back end and its screws. Chain is toast. I'd use the rear wheel unless I had a better one. Crappy mattress saddle can stay or go. I'd cut off the other fork blade to make shipping easier. Without the rear wheel it could be a fairly compact package. Just putting this out there. Might have more details tomorrow.
I had a suspicion it pulled through. Someone screwed up the cross lacing on three of the spokes on my '79 Rudge and the holes are visibly bent from it; these rims aren't very strong at all.

I'm thinking along the same lines, but also retiring the rod brake hardware. In my experience, no matter how nice one of these are, the rod brakes are a pulsating mess that never gives good brake feel no matter how much effort or perfection one throws at them. I'm no coaster brake fan, but I think a pair of 700C's with suitable tires and a coaster could turn this into something pretty enjoyable.

Keeping my ears open on this one. clubman, any chance I can bug you for a shipping quote on one of those forks?

-Kurt

Likes For cudak888: