roadcrankr
Thread derailleur

Bikes: Croll '94 & Cannondale Supersix '15

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 476 Times in 274 Posts
Originally Posted by 52telecaster
During the 80s I built bikes in department stores. Huffys were not fun but as heavy as they seem, Murrays we're usually way heavier. I'm glad I don't have to relive those days.
I built Huffys in '78 for a big dept store. Every model they sold. Brought in my own wrenches.
The wheels on the rim break (sic) models never seemed true. And, if I didn't adjust the breaks (sic), somebody would surely die on it.
Might go three days between my part-time shifts, come back in and they sold half of the display models!
The store failed to charge a premium for the assembled bike. Evidently, it was their attempt at keeping me away from customers.

During summer school in my teens, I put together a ratty-looking Varsity with a cheap sew-up front wheel.
Probably dropped the weight by three pounds! And enabled me to pop wheelies.
Even with a paper-thin cable lockset, nobody dared steal that sucker. (In all honesty, my brother stole that bike for me.)
No doubt, would-be thieves took one look at the front tubular and thought there's no way they would ever ride sewups.

Wonderful thread. Let us know if you need any components. I could probably part with bottom bracket or headset or bars.
Likes For roadcrankr: