Old 02-26-23, 11:12 PM
RCMoeur 
Cantilever believer

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked 1,917 Times in 862 Posts
Originally Posted by galcyclist
I notice above that you hadn't mentioned using a hydration system (e.g., a CamelBak) above. I can't imagine riding without one, especially in this Desert Southwest (Las Vegas here.). I won't lecture you too much, but I highly encourage you to use one. You are clearly an experienced cyclist. I once rode to St. George, UT. I took two nights and three days. It was worth it. Bike touring is fun.
Even though others in my family like their bladders n' backpacks, I've never been as much of a fan. I like the flexibility of bottles, and like to let the bike carry the weight (albeit minor). On that day, I don't think any added amount of carried water might have helped. The long cold shower at the motel in Yarnell certainly did, though.

For a dozen years, I managed freeway operations and design for I-15 in Arizona (and other northern AZ freeways & highways). I've ridden the Virgin River Gorge and part of old US 91 in the area.

Getting back to the topic: one of the duties I perform on El Tour de Tucson Bike Patrol is to pick up discarded or dropped water bottles along the route. One year I think I had collected a dozen of so by the finish. As none of them seem to ever have any identifying info, they get thoroughly washed and donated to local bike co-ops or given away at bike swaps.