Thread: Totally Tubular
View Single Post
Old 02-27-23, 06:57 AM
pastorbobnlnh 
Freewheel Medic

Bikes: Snazzy* Schwinns, Classy Cannondales & a Super Pro Aero Lotus (* Ed.)

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1462 Post(s)
Liked 2,217 Times in 971 Posts
Originally Posted by MooneyBloke
Here's a question for the peanut gallery: why the hell is Conti glue so damned expensive these days? My old 350g can for which I payed $25 at my LBS is nearly gone. No matter where I look, it seems they want about $70 for the same thing. While it's been a while since I've purchased glue, the jump in price seems unreasonable to me. The tires themselves have gone up a bit, but by a reasonable amount.
I wonder if it has to do with VOCs? Pretty much everything that used curing evaporative agents back in the day has had to been reformulated to meet current safety standards.

Just think of the cost of a gallon of quality house paint (interior or exterior) and how it has increased from $25-35, 25-30 years ago to $50-75 today.

Now, consider how much paint is produced compared to tubular glue. Plus, the total quantity of paint is probably increasing while those of us using tubular glue is most likely declining.

All this conspires to drive the cost up. Hmmmm--- being a tubular tape guy, I might start hoarding my lifetime supply to beat future inflation!

Thanks for visiting my website: www.freewheelspa.com