View Single Post
Old 02-27-23, 04:31 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10633 Post(s)
Liked 12,257 Times in 6,284 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
I have seen this a lot. If one weirdoid website gets a little traction with an article which mentions (and usually massively misunderstands and totally sensationalizes) some abstruse medical report, immediately two dozen other sites will write an almost identical article to capitalize on the google-based hist the first one received.

I have a had a person tell me, "I know it is right because I saw it on over a dozen websites," who refused to understand that it was a slight rewording (just enough to dodge plagiarism laws) of the same article ... and in some cases was exactly the same article (for instance when a news outlet shares a popular article with all its local affiliates across the nation.)

I have seen some amazing "overinterpretations" of studies done on fruit flies or brine shrimp, with headlines Like "People are more apt to die if they mate" and such.
Although, to be fair, up through at least 1900, everyone who mated, died.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey: