View Single Post
Old 03-04-23, 10:27 AM
rholland1951

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 536 Post(s)
Liked 1,790 Times in 910 Posts
Originally Posted by EVlove
Glad you're better, and grabbed the opportunity. I debated it but it was barely 40 degrees here, and the roads salted like a ham.
One of the bits of good news about this ride is that the Arlington streets appeared to be salt-free, at least as late as I rode them. My old steel bike was grateful.

I think at 55 (and slim, still mostly dark, and exceedingly handsome, according to my wife who is never wrong) I'm a relative youngster in this thread, but it happens to me, too. The grouch in me does get annoyed but really, where's the harm? A fellow traveler looking out for me, whether reflexively or out of real (if unwarranted) concern, nothing wrong with that. I take it over the self-absorbed, ear-plugged road hazard type any day.
This behavior reminds me of the "Passing Left" hail, which almost inevitably encodes some affective message or other, be it concern, camaraderie, dominance, or what you will. Back when I was still in the IT research business, I thought it would be clever to collect a Passing Left corpus to train a system to recognize these various affective payloads. I suppose that's still a good idea, and it's as feasible today as it was then. One application would be an asshat detector....

Might well be spring peepers! Now I'm jealous. We have vernal pools right behind the house but I haven't heard them yet.
Could be. Another pattern recognition problem..

Hurry, Spring!

rod
Likes For rholland1951: