Old 03-05-23, 08:48 PM
Chris Pringle

Bikes: '12 Rodriguez UTB Custom, '83 Miyata 610, '83 Nishiki Century Mixte (Work of Art), '18 Engin hardtail MTB

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 18 Posts
I also have mild hypertension. I was diagnosed briefly in my early 30’s but kept it at bay for a couple of decades through diet, weight control and exercise. I successfully completed PBP in 2015.

I noticed again a significant increase in BP after taking Covid vaccinations. I saw a cardiologist about year and half ago. He recommended cardio exercise 30 minutes a day and to get rid of 10-15 lb. of excess weight - basically, 190 lb down to 175 lb which I am working on. I take a very small dosage (half of a 50 mg Losartan tablet) only as necessary. The main BP reading for me is before bed - if it creeps up to over 130/80, I take my half tablet. This is mainly to avoid any spikes at night when sleeping as most heart attacks happen between 3-6 AM. The medicine (whenever I take it) has not affected at all my exercises or lifestyle. But the days I exercise, my BP normally stays within the normal range without meds. But one sedentary day and it creeps up again which is upsetting.

@Morimorimori: in your particular case, my recommendation is to seriously look into your sleeping. Waking up several times at night with a certain panic/anxiety is not normal. Yes, sleep apnea is a suspect but it could be something else like an enlarged uvula or even a deviated septum. A sleep study is in order which, as you may know, can now be conducted at home. Sleeping disorders are known factors for cardiovascular disease usually in the form of hypertension. I sleep with an Apple Watch to monitor my sleeping patterns and quality.

In regard to ultra sports, including brevets, I think that they are too hard on the body. Just keep exercising moderately. There’s no need to overdo it while you get to the bottom of your situation and understand the limits. Once it’s under control, start increasing your distance little by little under constant monitoring before and after.

Oh, one thing I discovered recently on a vacation trip is that a hot/wet sauna at least an hour before bed drastically lowers my BP. Maybe a hot tub or even a hot shower before bed might help you.

Last edited by Chris Pringle; 03-06-23 at 08:05 AM.
Likes For Chris Pringle: