View Single Post
Old 03-07-23, 12:06 PM
botty kayer

Bikes: Yes, probably too many but still have a roving eye...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 322 Post(s)
Liked 2,846 Times in 543 Posts
I probably risk getting punted out of C&V with this one.....forgive me father for I have sinned. I've bought a plastic bike. Its not a new one, about 15 years old by my estimation, but it does have a horizontal tube and is lugged, so if you squint your eyes or move further away from the monitor it might get a pass

I've never ridden a carbon frame before, so have a carbon bike knowledge base of absolute zero. With a 2nd hand carbon frame my primary fear was it shattering into a million pieces causing rapid unplanned body and road integration and a rearrangement of my facial features.

I weigh 90kg and it passed the first test of me sitting on the saddle it without shattering or emitting and scary creaks or groans. I then cycled up and down my road a number of times, slowly increasing speed, building up to some sudden fast accelerations and some emergency stops, and I didn't die! No creaks or noises of any kind from the frame, or anything untoward. Confident of its structural integrity I take it on its first voyage around London. However I'd not even done 10 miles and it started snowing, was too cold for a proper ride so that test was cut short. But first impressions, at 7.5 kg as pictured its 2kg lighter than any other bike I own, it feels like it goes like a stabbed rat, quick up to speed and seems to handle really nice and predictably and feels really comfortable on London's less than optimal road surfaces in the short time I've had on it so far, the 28c tyres definitely help with that.

I've changed the saddle and stem, added the bottle cages, but otherwise is pictured as it came to me. I was relived and impressed to find the frame accepts 28c tyres front and rear. I'm still fiddling with bar height and need to do a few longer rides to dial that in. I've never been a fan of the look of the rear lacing on those Zonda's, and the wheels and groupset are a bit tired so I'm going to be replacing the headset, cassette, cables, chain and brake pads, and plan to get some new wheels for it too. And will be changing the bar tape to white.

Not only is it my first carbon bike, its my first French bike, but so far I've been pleased to discover it doesn't have weird obscure French fittings, and I'm glad this is the earlier version with exterior cabling not internal, and it accepts regular 27.2 seat posts. The headset is apparently just a regular FSA integrated headset, though I have read online I think it needs a obscure size thrust washer or something that if lost is nightmare to find a replacement for, but I have that so no worry on that front, for now at least.

Despite the low weight it feels a whole lot of bike for the not a lot of money I paid for it, which was a tiny fraction of what this cost new. This was a very highly regarded and expensive frame in its time, and since buying it I've read many posts of people saying they used to own one and regret selling it, so even though its far from the most modern carbon bike it sure feels like a cut price super bike to me.

Can't wait for the weather to improve so I can put some proper miles on it, and I'll report back again when I've dialed in the fit and its fitted with its new bits.

Look 585 Origin from 2008/9 I think.

Lugs!

Nice rear monostay
Likes For botty kayer: