wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,489 Times in 1,286 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
Maybe this thread could actually be useful if we discuss surreptitiously contentious things people shouldn't do to newbies.

I'll start:

Unsolicited commentary and "advice" about personal matters like weight, number of kids, employment, etc. Example: newbie asking best method for transporting 3 toddlers on a bike is not asking for your opinion on how many kids they have, and telling people they have too many is definitely an unpleasant personal attack. Likewise, telling someone they're too fat when their question has not mentioned wanting weight advice. These are both versions of real thread events I've read. The details have been disguised to protect the innocent.
It's not just being hard on the newbies...It's experienced riders making their own rules and giving unsolicited advice to other experienced riders when those other riders may have completely different riding preferences and reasons for riding and generally different approach to cycling. It becomes even worse when certain posters start acting like doctors, psychologists, nutritionists, self-improvement gurus, police officers, sex therapists, behaviour therapists, fertility experts, rocket scientists and pro TDF riders.
Likes For wolfchild: