Old 03-10-23, 04:34 PM
Yan 

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1963 Post(s)
Liked 647 Times in 443 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
I’m not unfamiliar with credit card touring but if (and when) I do it, I find a set of panniers on a front rack to be far more convenient than bikepacking bags. It’s far easier to organize panniers than it is to organize bikepacking bags. It’s also far easier to deal with panniers if you have to move the bike and panniers separately. For example, my bikepacking adventures usually include a bus ride to the start and at the end. I usually have to unload the bike before putting it on the rack of the bus. To get on the bus, I have to juggle a harness with my tent and sleeping bag, a seat bag, leg bags, gas can bag, micro panniers and, on rare occasions, the triangle bag. That’s in addition to my helmet and Camelbak. None of the bags are the same size or weight and are difficult to maneuver down a narrow bus aisle. Most of the same equipment could be carried in 2 front pannier bags which are far easier to deal with off the bike.

Aerodynamics are way down on my list of things to consider while on tour.
I agree with this completely and also want to add airports as a place where having to juggle all the little bike packing pouches will seriously ruin your day. Any trip where you plan to put your bike on another form of transportation, forget it. Save yourself the headache and just take a couple of panniers.
Likes For Yan: