Old 03-11-23, 08:01 AM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 990 Post(s)
Liked 884 Times in 529 Posts
Well, It seems that you've responded to others with similar opinions, so I'll just respond briefly to what you've quoted me on.
Originally Posted by cat0020
And just how many hub-motor ebikes have owned to make that determination?
How many hub motor bearing failures have you experienced in how many miles of usage?.
I don't own any, though I've worked on quite a few for friends and on those donated to our local co-op. Of those that required a wheel disassembly, at least half of them had crunchy bearings. This would not likely be apparent to a rider, but it is a demonstration that it happens. It's not a big deal for most bikes with sealed bearings, but with a hub motor it will require much more labor than is economically viable. These are throw-away wheels. Were getting more and more e-bikes donated to our co-op, mostly because the cost of replacing a battery or fixing another component is not worth it to the owner. Many have developed cracks in the wheel spoke holes.

You're the one that brought up hub motor bearing failure, not me.
Yep, I did bring it up, and I feel bad that it resulted in your hijacking the OP's post.

Sure any drivetrain on a bike experience wear & tear, but more so on a mid-drive ebike vs hub-motor ebike or regular bicycle.
Regardless of throttle usage or not, the drivetrain is required to have mid-drive motor transfer power to the rear wheel, but no so for the hub motor ebikes.
If your drivetrain is dirty or lack lubrication, not only does it cause more wear, it also robs power from your mid-drive motor; but not so much with a hub-motor ebike

I've not found that my mid-drive bike wears any drivetrain component more quickly than my other bikes. My sense is that this wear argument is a 'sales' pitch. In any case, all bikes require maintenance.

Wrong, only direct drive hub motor can allow regen while coasting, and you would still require a controller to be able to collect that generated electricity to be directed back to the battery.
Majority of gear driven hub motor do not have regen capacity.
Yep, you're right that only direct drive hub motors are good for generating electricity. My initial comment was not aimed at recovering energy while riding. It was related to repurposing a hub after removing from a wheel. Configure it as a windmill or waterwheel or similar and you can generate 3 phase AC power. You'd need to run the current through a full-bridge rectifier to convert to single phase DC to charge batteries. Repurposing these hubs is a lot better than them ending up in landfills.

Feel free to continue your crusade against mid-drive systems, though perhaps you should open a new thread. I'll not be responding to further posts in this thread. Good luck to you, mate.