Old 03-13-23, 04:18 PM
nlerner

Mentioned: 485 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3849 Post(s)
Liked 6,922 Times in 2,674 Posts
Originally Posted by ironwood
But not a very good idea, Harris used to be on Rte 15 at an interchange with the Mass Pike, cars speed there. The road surface is full of potholes, and broken concrete. After a couple of miles you come to the Rte 128 interchange, one of the more dangerous places to cycle in Eastern Mass. Wellesley has a lot of traffic on Rte 16. Then on Rte 135 the speed limit is 45mph from the College out to Natick., but the average speed can be 55..The only time the marathon route is safe is when they close it for the race.

However there are some nice routes in Needham, Wellesley, Dover, South Natick and Sherborn. I've met small groups riding vintage bikes there. It isn't as bucolic as it was forty years ago, but it is still nice
A year or two before the Marathon bombing (2013, I.e., back when you could), I partook with a group of friends that tradition of cycling the Marathon route Boston to Hopkinton, turning around and coming back to Copley Sq. The wrinkle was that you had to finish at 9 am or the like, so it was a very early start. The way out there was traffic free, but the way back had me wishing I was on different roads. Very chaotic! Checked that one off the bucket list, and once was enough.