View Single Post
Old 03-16-23, 09:32 PM
Racing Dan

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1335 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 216 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
SRAM says to replace at 0.8% without specifying cassette speeds. KMC says to replace the chain between 0.75% and 1%, again, without specifying speeds. I can’t find anything from Shimano. Park Tool says to replace 10 speed and below at 0.75% and 11 speed and above at 0.5%. Pick your poison.

The rule method, by the way, replaces chains at 0.5%. 0.75% would be 3/32” and 1% would be a full 1/8”.

11 speed and above chains are thinner with regards to overall width. Perhaps the thinking is to replace them at 0.5% since the pressure on the pin is greater.
Sure. Its all over the place and opaque what the percentages is in reference to. Some toole even uses mm rather than %. Thus I made up my own campy like system, but with significant more allowance for wear, as mentioned in an earlier post. Ive been meaning to get a shimano chain checker to see what they consider "worn out" but so far I haven't. If anyone has one (or any other brand) and a digital calliper id be interested in the go/no go dimensions of such tools. I'm betting they too are all over the place.