Old 03-17-23, 02:49 PM
obrentharris 

Bikes: Indeed!

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1514 Post(s)
Liked 3,489 Times in 1,139 Posts
Ephemeral Waterfalls
You've probably seen the news about all the rain we've been getting in California. It finally paused a couple days ago and I got a chance to take the Gitane Tour de France on a 35-mile shake down ride. Small waterfalls, lasting for a few days then running dry, appear at the sides of the roads after rains like this. We only get to see them for a few days every year. In dry years they may not appear at all.

This bike came my way courtesy of the generous curbtender. It was in decent shape when I got it. I replaced a couple of the foil decals, refreshed the lug lining, replaced the rotting tubulars, replaced the failing delrin front derailleur, and performed the usual maintenance items.

I learned on this ride why these bikes are popular with their owners; stable, comfortable, easy handling, and very predictable on the rapid winding descents. Nice looking too! In an effort to keep the bike as original as possible I installed some black plastic Benotto tape. That was my one mistake. I quickly remembered why I abandoned plastic bar tape 50 years ago. Looks nice though.

Stopping for a snack 25 miles into my ride I made the discovery that the waterfalls are not the only things that will not last much longer!

I count myself lucky to make it home still seated.
No great loss: This is the hardest leather saddle I have ever ridden. I wonder if the same desiccation that causes the leather to rip with age also makes the leather so hard. Anyway this saddle will make a fine frame donor for a new cover by Rudi Mayr. ( @rhm ) If anyone reading this has been looking for a Brooks Pro frame send me a PM and I'll send it your way.
Brent