Old 03-17-23, 08:51 PM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 667 Posts
Originally Posted by mara777
I found a website (SQ Lab) that showed photos of where the pain is and an explanation of why. Based on that, I think either I just need to get used to riding or the saddle might be too narrow (the pain is at my sit bones, but sort of towards the inside of them?). I tried to measure my sit bones and I think they are about 120mm (if I did it correctly), and the seat is 150mm at the widest part, but since it slopes down at the sides, 120mm is kind of on the edge of the saddle where it's sloping down? It looks to me that someone with about 100mm sit bone distance would be more comfortable/supported 🤔
I would think some help from a bike shop is in order. The saddle width doesn’t seem obviously wrong for you. Generally a starting point is a saddle with a nominal width that is about 20 mm wider than your sit bone width.

My sit bone width measures about 115 mm and I comfortably ride a 150 mm saddle on a drop bar bike. Your 120mm width would suggest a 140mm saddle.

Of course, not all saddles of proper width may work for you. I switched a month ago from a basic modern shell and padding saddle (Volt) to a tensioned rubber saddle (Cambium C15), and it’s like the saddle disappeared. Which is a good thing. Hopefully you will find one that isn’t a problem.

I should say that most people who try a tensioned leather saddle and a tensioned rubber saddle pick the leather saddle. Also, tensioned saddles tend to be heavy and probably a bit of a liability in a triathlon.

Otto

Last edited by ofajen; 03-17-23 at 08:54 PM.