View Single Post
Old 03-21-23, 08:49 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7084 Post(s)
Liked 11,187 Times in 4,781 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
Thanks, that sounds good. I like a single screen setup and have my 530 set up with everything on one page, but it's a bit crowded to say the least. I've had it for 3 years now and it's been reliable. The nav did have a habit of freezing occasionally mid-ride in the first few months, but a firmware update cured that and it's been rock solid ever since. Maybe I'll treat myself to a 1040 at some point, but it's quite an investment at £520 for the non-solar version.
My friend and I were riding last weekend, and discussing our data screens; at one point, he unclipped his 530 and handed it to me, and I held it next to my 1040; his computer, in comparison, looked tiny! For my aging eyes, the 1040 screen size is fantastic. Also, the battery (mine is non-solar) is remarkable: I'm not using navigation much, but am getting around 45 hours on a charge. (That's with four sensors -- Di2, HR, phone, Varia tail light.) There are lots of other things to like about the 1040, but the size and battery life are my fave features.

Granted, I got the 1040 at Garmin employee pricing, which is far below retail; it's so good, though, that I'd be happy with it even if I'd paid the full $600.
Likes For Koyote: