Old 03-21-23, 05:19 PM
Mad Honk 

Bikes: Paramount, Faggin, Ochsner, Ciocc, Basso

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 1,947 Times in 1,159 Posts
I went to the metal shop today and picked up a piece that I think will give me the base for a brake caliper drop section for the rear brake. It is aluminum and is about the correct depth for installing a recessed brake nut to keep the weight down. I can mill the material down to a nice finish and the correct length. In my mind I will need to keep the weight down so Instead of the brake bolts like a standard Campy drop piece, I think I can use a bolt fitted so it holds the extension in place from the top of the brake plate. The issue of the position of the drop plate is adjustability for reach of the brake caliper. I will head to our co-op Wednesday night and get a real good look at the Huffy frames to find an appropriate placement for the attaching bolt. Here is the material as picked up from the metal shop with a picture of a recessed brake section to be sure it will work as a drop plate. Smiles, MH

This is the aluminum plate as picked up. About six inches long and one inch wide so plenty of room to work the metal into the correct shape.

Depth of material is just a bit shy of the length of the brake bolt for a recessed brake. With a star nut and the right recessed nut it should fit nicely and not add extra weight. Now to pantograph or not?
Likes For Mad Honk: