Old 03-22-23, 09:47 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 270 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4564 Post(s)
Liked 6,537 Times in 3,751 Posts
Originally Posted by bulgie
Hmm, lots of people would disagree. I've done it a half-dozen times but I don't relish it. Keeping the myriad tiny balls in their tracks, while simultaneously keeping the pawls compressed against their springs, is like keeping a lot of balls in the air — metaphorically. If you literally have a lot of balls in the air while reassembling a freewheel, you did something wrong.

Yes I know some tricks, and I can get them back together on the first try, but I wouldn't call it easy.
Maybe that's just me. pastorbobnlnh, what do you think, easy for most home mechanics?

Mark B
Yes, many would disagree, I have never found the need to take one apart or ever had one come apart.

Also never needed to do more than flush and fill likely due to the fact that I don't ride hard, much.